DOP CIRCULAR NO. 2018 – 034
23 March 2018
ATTENTION: ALL PARISH PRIESTS, PARISH ADMINISTRATORS, RECTORS OF SHRINES, PARISH COMMISSION ON LITURGY AND POPULAR RELIGIOSITY (CLPR) HEADS
SUBJECT: BASIC ORIENTATION FOR PARISH AND VICARIATE MASTERS OF CEREMONIES
Dear Fathers, Monsignori, Brothers and Sisters:
Liturgical celebrations, especially the Eucharist and the other Sacraments are an essential manifestation of the spiritual vigor of parish communities. They constitute the visible expression of the faith of each individual Christian and community by gathering the members of the Church in a setting of prayer and worship. In view of the importance of such assemblies of the faithful, it is imperative that these celebrations are carried out with the utmost preparation and planning of all who are involved, from the presider, the ordained ministers, and lay liturgical ministers with specific roles and functions, and celebrated with the greatest dignity and grace.
For a liturgical celebration, especially a celebration presided over by the bishop, to be distinguished by grace, simplicity, and order, a master of ceremonies is needed to prepare and direct the celebration, in close cooperation with the bishop and others responsible for planning its several parts, end especially from a pastoral standpoint. (Ceremonial of Bishops #34)
In this regard, we are extending the invitation to all pastors to send potential Masters of Ceremonies to attend a basic orientation seminar to be conducted by the Diocesan Commission on Liturgy and Popular Religiosity. The following are the requirements for the candidates:
- Must have a deep love for the liturgy, and average comprehension skills to assimilate and internalize principles of ceremonies and basic liturgical legislation.
- Must be at least 20 years of age.
- Must be either a senior member of the Ministry of Altar Servers, an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion, or a Sacristan.
- Must be willing and available to undertake further and more intensive training.
- Must be available to assist the parishes within their respective vicariates with the preparation, planning, and celebration of the liturgy, especially those presided over by the bishop.
The orientation will be held on APRIL 7, 2018, SATURDAY, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Villonco Hall of the Diocesan Center for Evangelization. As the usual procedure dictates, candidates must be thoroughly scrutinized by the pastor or his representative.
Please take note of the following:
- A Letter of recommendation, duly signed by the parish priest. (Please put the full
names of the participants and arrange them in alphabetical order)
- Please fax a copy of the letter of recommendation to the Office of the Pastoral
Department at Telefax No. 850-9315 ONE WEEK BEFORE the scheduled seminar.
- The original copy of the Letter of Recommendation should be presented upon registration
on the actual date of the seminar.
- Registration on the actual date of the seminar shall begin at 8:30 a.m.
- Participants are to register individually.
- Participants are to bring their own provisions for snacks and lunch.
Thank you and please be guided accordingly.
Rev. Fr. JOHN FRANCIS FREDERICK MANLAPIG
Rev. Fr. CARMELO O. ESTORES