DOP CIRCULAR NO. 2019-033
2 April 2019
|TO:||ALL PARISH PRIESTS, INCARDINATED CLERGY, PRIESTS ON SPECIAL ASSIGNMENT, CLERGY OF THE VARIOUS RELIGIOUS CONGREGATIONS WITHIN THE DIOCESE, PARISH PASTORAL COUNCIL MEMBERS, LAY LITURGICAL MINISTERS, AND THE GENERAL LAY FAITHFUL.|
|RE:||MASS OF THE HOLY CHRISM FOR 2019|
Dear Monsignori and Fathers,
Brothers and sisters:
The Chrism Mass, which the bishop concelebrates with his presbyterium, and at which the Holy Chrism is consecrated and the oils blessed, manifests the communion of the priests with their bishop in the same priesthood and ministry of Christ. The priests who concelebrate with the bishop should come to this Mass from different parts of the diocese, thus showing in the consecration of the Chrism to be his witnesses and cooperators, just as in their daily ministry, they are his helpers and counselors.
The faithful are also to be encouraged to participate in this Mass and to receive the sacrament of the Eucharist. (PS 35, a,b)
…There should be only one celebration of the Chrism Mass, given its significance in the life of the diocese, and it should take place in the cathedral or, for pastoral reasons, in another church  that has a special significance. (PS 36)
-PaschalesSolemnitatis: Sacred Congregation for Divine Worship; Circular Letter Concerning the Preparation and Celebration of the Paschal Feasts; January 16, 1988
The annual celebration of the Mass of the Holy Chrism is once again approaching, and will be held on Holy Thursday, the 18th of April 2019. This is traditionally celebrated at the Cathedral Parish of St. Andrew, as stipulated in the aforementioned excerpt from the document Paschales Solemnitatis. However, in view of some pastoral considerations, we have decided to move the venue of the celebration to the El Shaddai International House of Prayer, Amvel Compound, Brgy. San Dionisio, Paranaque City,for the following reasons:
- Over the past years, there have been some difficulties in celebrating the Mass of the Holy Chrism at the Cathedral of St. Andrew, given its location and the limited space around and within the church.
- The parking spaces are inadequate to accommodate the number of vehicles of the various parish delegations, oftentimes resulting in heavy traffic around the area of the church, and thereby causing some of our clergy to arrive late for the celebration.
- The church is likewise limited in space, given that we encourage as many of our faithful to participate in the celebration. This has been addressed in the past by utilizing the other adjacent spaces available, such as the St. Andrew’s School Canteen. Despite this effort, however, it has been observed that active participation is adversely affected because of the large number of the faithful who are left outside the church.
The Mass of the Holy Chrism, in as much as its celebration holds a special significance in the Cathedral church, being the seat of the bishop, is likewise an important moment for the faithful to support the bishop and his priests, to be one with them in the Eucharist, and witness them renew the promises made at their ordination. The lack of active participation by all proves contrary to the very nature of this very important celebration of the local Church of the diocese.
In this regard, Bro. Mike Velarde of the El Shaddai community has willingly agreed to allow us to use the International House of Prayer as the venue of the Mass of the Holy Chrism. The oratory has ample space to accommodate as many of the faithful we can possibly invite to the celebration without sacrificing their active participation. The adequate parking spaces will remove the difficulty of traffic congestion and prevent the late arrival of our priests and their parishioners as well.
I, therefore, am encouraging all our parish priests, religious clergy, and parish pastoral councils to invite our faithful to this important celebration. As one family, let us come together in prayer and thanksgiving, especially in this year of the clergy and consecrated persons. More details will be forwarded to our parishes regarding further instructions and protocol for the Mass of the Holy Chrism.
Attached is the list of reminders for us who will attend the Mass of the Holy Chrism and a vicinity map for entrances and parking.
Most Rev. Jesse E. Mercado, D.D.
Bishop of Parañaque
Rev. Fr. Carmelo O. Estores
For the Clergy:
- Lauds will be at 6:15 a.m. followed by the Mass at 7:00.
- Please bring your cassock, Alb, or religious habit and wear them during the celebration of the Mass. The Mother Butler Guild will provide the priests with stoles and chasubles. After the Mass, please leave the vestments on the chair and exit the stage using the front stairs.
- Since area around the venue is spacious enough to accommodate a large number of vehicles, no particular parking slots for priests will be provided.
- Please take your breakfast before you leave home as there will be no provisions for food at the oratory.
- The designated area for the vesting shall be by the doors facing the center of the stage. You may stay on the seats on either the left or right wing of the oratory facing the stage for the Solemn Lauds. The Entrance procession shall also begin from that point of the venue and pass through the center aisle. There will be ushers to assist you.
- At the end of the celebration, the Sacred Oils will be brought to the Father’s Love Chapel, located at the right transept of the oratory. The distribution will be at the same place as well. We strongly recommend that parish priests claim their containers of Sacred Oil or prepare a Letter of Authorization for your designated representative.
For the Laity:
- The sanctuary will be off-limits to parishioners after the Mass.We recommend that the priests meet their well-wishers at the ground level of the oratory for their picture taking.
- Tarpaulins and placard will not be allowed inside oratory, nor at its immediate vicinity. We recommend that these be presented in your respected parish churches or communities.
For the Religious and Consecrated Persons:
- The members of religious congregations or consecrated persons and their associations will not be provided with a designated area. They may take their seats anywhere inside the oratory, apart from the sanctuary.
Attached are illustrated diagrams of the venue and its immediate vicinity. Please be guided accordingly. Thank you.