DOP CIRCULAR NO. 2019 – 093
8 November 2019
ATTENTION: All Parish Priests, Parochial Vicars, Rectors of Shrines, Parish Administrators, Coordinators of CLPR
SUBJECT: FEAST OF THE DEDICATION OF THE LATERAN BASILICA
Dear Fathers, Monsignori, Brothers and Sisters:
May I humbly remind our dear Fathers, brothers and sisters involved in the preparation of the Liturgy in the parishes that anniversaries of the dedication of churches especially that of the Lateran Basilica (which is considered the “Mother Church of the Christian faith), are considered feasts of the Lord because we believe the following excerpt from the Holy Father’s address before and after praying the Angelus with the faithful gathered in St. Peter’s Square on November 9, 2014.
“Everytime we celebrate the dedication of a Church, one essential truth is recalled: the material temple made of bricks is a sign of the Church alive and active in history. Namely, it is that “spiritual temple”, as the apostle Peter says, of which Christ Himself is “the living stone, rejected by men but chosen and precious in the sight of God” (1 Peter 2, 4-8). By virtue of Baptism, every Christian, as Saint Paul reminds us, is part of “God’s building” (1 Cor. 3,9). As a matter of fact, it becomes the Church of God! The spiritual building, the Church community of men sanctified by the blood of Christ and by the Spirit of the Risen Lord, asks each one of us to be consistent with the gift of faith and to fulfill a path of Christian witness.”
Therefore, in the Diocese of Parañaque we shall observe the following:
- All masses and the full Office of November 9, 2019 (Saturday). shall be that of the Feast of the Dedication of the Lateran Basilica.
- Office: Lauds and Vespers 11 from the Common of the Dedication of a church
Psalter week 1 for Lauds
- Mass: white vestments, Gloria is sung, Creed shall only be recited during the evening (anticipated) Mass
Readings: Ez. 47:1-2, 8-9, 12/Ps. 46: 2-3, 4, 5-6, 8-9/1 Cor 3:9-13, 16-
- Those who attend Masses of the feast on Saturday everning fulfill their Sunday obligation.
- We enjoin the faithful to offer the Mass and the Office of that day for the intentions of the Holy Father Pope Francis and for the entire Catholic church.
- If the dedication of the parish church/shrine falls on a Sunday in Ordinary Time, the parish/shrine shall celebrate the Mass formulary for the anniversary for the dedication of the church.
May we all be guided accordingly.
(sgd.) REV. FR. JOHN FRANCIS FREDERICK K. MANLAPIG
(sgd.) REV. FR. JOSEPH D. LANDERO